Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Working away and suddenly unexpected glories

Just got the third draft and things are really slotting into place now. It is impossible not to play out the scene in your mind, while you’re reading it. It’s lively and it feels real, which makes the whole project that much more exciting.
Sara called the story adorable and I could not agree more. I seem to get back to the notion of something magical. It can be found on every level in the storyline, in the characters, in the mood of the script and hopefully eventually in the film as well.
Writing the comments for the script turned out to be much more difficult. Everything you change will have a ripple effect through the script and I was surprised how much I needed to change to accommodate any of my suggested changes. I really hope that Sara will not feel bad about any of it.

The storyboard is even more difficult, because I want it to reflect the idea in my head as closely as possible, but it just does not seem to want to work on paper. So I decided I am going to give it a try as a simple animation. I have created the character in blender, but I forgot how difficult it all was, so as usual it takes a lot more time then expected. But slowly the set is coming together and I just have to fix a few small glitches with the character deformation before I can start just moving the characters around and render off the storyboard images. I am fully counting on the fact that that should speed up the process massively.

Anna made me think about what I’m looking for, when casting the little girl. After search the internet and not coming up with much, I realized that I was basing the character of the little girl at least partly on a children’s book heroine called Pippi Langstrumpf (at least that’s the name I know her by). I am not sure if that is going to help Anna when trying to find a suitable actress, but I think I have a clearer idea in my mind now.
On the same note, I also made a mood board (I think I over did it a little bit), which will hopefully be useful for everyone in creating understanding of the look and feel of the film.

Trying to get hold of a 3D camera has be unsuccessful so far. Sony has made it quite clear that we are planning to film at the wrong time of the year, as the football world cup is approaching, but somehow I doubt that they wanted to give us students anything. They just want the convenient contact to the university and the Bournemouth Skillset Screen & Media Academy.
We have not quite given up yet, but it just does not look good. Contacting Panasonic and looking if any other company is building something similar feels more like going through the motions. I think plan B will have to come into action soon. I think I also have to have a good look at what is available at the university itself, as we might have to built the whole camera rig ourselves in the end. But after a little talk with Steve Hubbard, has lifted my hopes to finish this project. I get too easily discouraged, doubting all the work I have put into it.

With all the work going on I nearly did not go to the Landcrab short film festival in Bournemouth, even though the film ‘The Cases of Detective Policeman’, which I have edited was to be shown.
Well, I can only say, that I’m glad, I did not miss that occasion, as the film won, Best Director, Best Actor and the People’s choice Award.

Thanks to everyone who voted for the film and I’m so glad you all enjoyed it.

...
Annette

No comments:

Post a Comment